Dayangku Mastura is the pen name of DK Mastura Pg Ismail, who is originally from Papar, Sabah. She started writing in 2008 and tends to write in the genres of short stories, novels, drama scripts (stage and radio) and poetry. She is also a lifelong member of the Persatuan Bahasa dan Sastera Sabah (BAHASA) and Persatuan Penulis Nasional Malaysia (PENA). She graduated with Bachelor of Arts with Honors (Literature) from Universiti Sains Malaysia and is pursuing her Master at Pusat Penyelidikan Kecemerlangan dan Kesarjanaan Artistik, ASWARA. Currently, she is working at the Sabah State Library.
Our Interview Session with Dayangku Mastura
Who is your favorite writer?
- My favourite author is Pramoedya Ananta Toer.
What is your favorite novel?
- My favourite novel is The Girl from the Coast by Pramoedya Ananta Toer.
What has brought you to write your books?
- It is because of my own interests and more of a self-challenge for me that I am into writing.
How long on average does it take you to write a book?
- It took me an average of 3-6 months to write a book and most of the time it depends on my own commitment to finish it.
Where did you get your ideas in your writing?
- I got my ideas from observation and self-sensitivity.
When was your early experience when you know that language has power?
- It was since I realize that language is capable of affecting our minds and actions through reading.
Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
- Of course, my literary works need to stand on its own but also depending on the purpose of writing.
What was the driving force in your writing?
- I can say that I was the driving force in my writing.
What is the difficult part in your writing process?
- The difficult part of the writing process is to maintain the momentum and self-commitment.
What are the writing ethics you think a writer would need?
- A writer must have discipline and self-insight to produce a good writing.
What advice do you have for young writers out there?
- My advice to writers who have just started writing is to continue writing and do not stop learning to improve them.
Among Her Achievements Are:
- Won Consolation prize in Sayembara Menulis Skrip Drama Pentas, 2008 – organized by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Cawangan Sabah (DBPCS).
- Won First and Third places in SEDCO-BAHASA 1, 2009 for short stories – organized by BAHASA and Sabah Economic Development Corporation (SEDCO).
- Won First place and Consolation prize for Sayembara Maharajan Cerpen Berunsur Islam, 2009 – organized by Jabatan Hal Ehwal Agama Islam Negeri Sabah (JHEAINS).
- Won Consolation prize in Sayembara Menulis Novel Negeri Sabah Siri 1, 2010 – organized by the Sabah State Government.
- Won Second place in Sayembara Menulis Novel dan Skrip Drama Remaja, 2009-2010 for Teen Drama Script (13-15 years old) – organized by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Kuala Lumpur (DBPKL).
- Won the Grand and Appreciation prize in Sastera Kumpulan Utusan+ExxonMobil (HSKU), 2011 for Teen Short Story Category.
- Won the Sastera Perdana Malaysia (HSPM), DBPKL, 2012 prize for the Category of Retail Drama.
- Won Cosolation prize in Sayembara Penulisan Novel, Cerpen dan Puisi, 2013 for Short Stories. – organized by Institut Terjemahan dan Buku Malaysia (ITBM), PENA dan BERITA HARIAN.
- Won the Grand prize in Short Stories Writing Competition, 2013 – organized by Perpustakaan Negeri Sabah & DBPCS.
- Won Third place in Teen and Child Novel Writing Competition 2013 for Teen Novel.
– organized by Koperasi Dewan Pustaka dan Bahasa Kuala Lumpur.
- Won Second place in Teen Novel Writing Contest, 2013 – organized by DBPCS.
- Won the Grand prize in Sastera Kumpulan Utusan+ExxonMobil (HSKU), 2013 for Teen Short Story Category.
- Won the Sastera Sabah 2012-2013 prize for Retail Short Story Category – organized by
- Won the Grand prize in Karya Penulisan Sabah, 2014 for Short Stories – organized by Sabah State Government.
- Won the Grand Prize in Karya Penulisan Sabah, 2015 for Poetry (Adult) – organized by Sabah State Government.
- Won Consolation prize in Sayembara Menulis Skrip Adaptasi daripada Cerpen ke Skrip Drama Pendek 2015 – organized by DBPKL.
- Awarded with Anugerah Tokoh Penulis Sabah in conjuction with Sabah Writers Festival, 2016.
- Won Appreciation prize in Sastera Kumpulan Utusan+PNB (HSKU), 2016 for Teen Short Story Category.
- Won the Sastera Sabah 2016/2017 prize for Teen Novel and Retail Short Story Category
– organized by DBPCS.
- Won Appreciation prize in Sastera Kumpulan Utusan+PNB (HSKU), 2017 for Teen Novel Category.
- Novel ‘Cahaya di Jendela’ published by Institut Terjemahan dan Buku Malaysia (ITBM) 2013.
- Teen Novel ‘Gemala Sakti’ published by Koperasi Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur 2014.
- Teen Novel ‘Helaian Linangkit’, published by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Kuala Lumpur 2016.
- Kumpulan Cerpen ‘Langit Runtuh’ published by ITBM 2013.
- Kumpulan Cerpen ‘Ahli Syurga’, published by ITBM 2015.
- Kumpulan Cerpen ‘Harum Kasih Daun Irik’ , published by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Kuala Lumpur 2016.
- Kumpulan Drama Pentas ‘Pewaris’ published by Badan Bahasa dan Sastera Sabah (BAHASA) 2010.
- Teen Stage Drama Script ‘Apabila Burung Tidak Berkicau Lagi’, published by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Kuala Lumpur 2017.